Holiday Festivities to Enjoy Around the Chicagoland Area
Lights are sparkling, music is playing, and Christmas is in the air in Orland Park. Maximize your holiday season in and around Chicago with these fun and festive activities.
Magnificent Light Displays
Take some time to enjoy the lights of the season!
- Christmas Around the World & Holidays of Light: The Museum of Science & Industry showcases Chicago’s diversity with a 45-foot Grand Tree surrounded by 50 trees decorated to represent holiday traditions of many cultures.
- Holiday Magic at Brookfield Zoo: Enjoy live entertainment, professional ice-carving demonstrations, magic shows, visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus, and more.
- ZooLights at Lincoln Park Zoo: This free light festival has crafts, ice carving, animal encounters, and pictures with Santa.
- City of Chicago Christmas Tree in Millenium Park: Visit Chicago’s official Christmas tree located at Michigan Avenue and Washington Street.
- Morton Arboretum Holiday Lights: Take a magical walk through this fifty acre display filled with vibrant lights, integrated sound and video, and interactive elements.
Chicago’s award-winning theater community offers a variety of holiday themed performances.
- The Nutcracker: Set in Chicago with a backdrop of the 1893 World’s Fair, this 2016 adaptation of a classic is choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.
- A Christmas Carol: Presented by the Goodman Theater, this annual holiday production of the Charles Dickens classic is entering its 40th season.
- Ken Ludwig’s ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas: This comedic take on the classic holiday poem is at the Broadway Playhouse at Water Tower Place.
Other Holiday Activities
Find more holiday fun at these exciting spots:
- McCormick Tribune Ice Skating Rink: This 16,000-square-foot rink in Millenium Park offers free ice skating daily.
- Christkindlmarket: This open-air market is inspired by a Nuremberg, Germany market and features authentic German food and drinks along with iconic German items such as nutcrackers, cuckoo clocks, and beer steins.
- Fifth Third Bank Winter WonderFest at Navy Pier: This popular indoor holiday event brings rides, slides, and ice skating to Navy Pier.